Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dream Student - J.J. DiBenedetto



Dream Student
What would you do if you could see other people’s dreams?  If you could watch their hidden fantasies and uncover their deepest, darkest secrets…without them ever knowing?
Sara Barnes is about to find out.  She thought that all she had to worry about was final exams, Christmas shopping and deciding whether she likes the cute freshman in the next dorm who’s got a crush on her.
But when she starts seeing dreams that aren’t hers, she learns more than she ever wanted to know about her friends, her classmates…and a strange, terrifying man whose dreams could get Sara killed.
“Dream Student” is the thrilling first installment of the Dreams series.

Review

DiBenedetto's writing is lively and realistic.  His characters come to life on the page and although reality is in question, it is written in such a way that you have no problems believing the possibilities.  Well, no more than the characters themselves do.  It took a little bit for me to get into the story, but I'm glad I did because it is like meeting a person for the first time... after you talk to them for a while, you get a feel for them and can truly enjoy the company.

I'm looking forward to finding out what's next for Sara, her friends, and her family as I jump into book 2 of this compelling and suspenseful series.

Buy links:


Amazon:  ·         Dream Student  ·         Dream Doctor
·         Dream Child  ·         Dream Family  ·         Waking Dream

Smashword:  ·         Dream Student  ·         Dream Doctor
·         Dream Child  ·         Dream Family  ·         Waking Dream

Barnes & Noble:  ·         Dream Student
·         Dream Doctor  ·         Dream Child
·         Dream Family  ·         Waking Dream






Bonus Interview!!!!



Hi James! Your bio says that you attended Case Western Reserve University. What was your major and how did your experiences there influence your writing?


I majored in history.

I really enjoyed my time there. I lived in the same dorm, with many of the same friends, for all four years, and I think that comes across especially in the first book, "Dream Student". Sara's dorm, and many of her classmates are absolutely modeled after the dorm I lived in and the people I knew.


You have recently released book 1 in audio haven't you?

Yes! 

And book #2 is in progress (3/4 of the way finished)  AND, book #3 at least will be recorded as soon as #2 is finished!

My narrator did an AMAZING job; she's so talented!


How different is the experience of publishing a book in print or ebook vs. audio?

Very different, and I'm still learning about it!

For one thing, it's a lot harder to provide an excerpt or even a review copy. I can just email you a few paragraphs of a sample, or attach a relatively small file and you've got my whole book

But with audio, I have to send you a massive (I think the first book comes in at 900 MB in size!) file, and even to listen to the excerpt you need to log into my website and download a big file and have your headphones, etc.

I'm also still discovering which websites review and promote audiobooks, as opposed to ebooks or print. sometimes it's all the same places, but there's also a whole other world for audiobooks.


If you have any audio links I can add them to my post.

Sure do!  10 minute sample each from book 1 and book 2


Since you have 5 books in this series, do you plan to continue it or are you moving on to something else next? (after the audio books are finished)

I'm working on book #6 now, and I've already got (I think) most of the ideas for book #7 already, and a title for #8 ("Dream Vacation", I'm thinking).

Each book moves a little further ahead in time - the first one is set in 1989-90, book #5 is set in 2001. So, I figure I have to get Sara at least up to 2013 before I stop!

And I have the title for the last book already, "Dream Wedding"

I'm also working on an unrelated novel, which (if I can manage it) will be more of an adventure story. Think "Romancing the Stone" as what I'm shooting for.

Check back on September 17th for more of the interview!

Author Bio:

J.J. (James) DiBenedetto was born in Yonkers, New York. He attended Case Western Reserve University, where as his classmates can attest, he was a complete nerd. Very little has changed since then.
He currently lives in Arlington, Virginia with his beautiful wife and their cat (who has thoroughly trained them both). When he's not writing, James works in the direct marketing field, enjoys the opera, photography and the New York Giants, among other interests.
The "Dreams" series is James' first published work.




Author Links:  Facebook  Twitter  Website  Amazon  Smashwords  Goodreads





Sept 3:          K.C Sprayberry       Out of Control Characters 
Sept 4:          Tiffany Kidd             556 Book Chicks 
Sept 5:           K.C Cavanaugh       The Cavanaugh Connection
Sept 6:          Jessica Wentz           Jess’s Book Blog 
         &          Doris Orman            Dowie’s Place 
Sept 7:          Lauren Young           Falling in Fall Book Blog 
Sept 8:          Mary Lou                 Page Princess 
Sept 9:          Pennelope Anne        Spoilers, Sweetie
Sept 10:        Sabina Bundgaard     Sabina’s Adventures In Reading 
Sept 11:        Amanda Edmunds      Kat’s Read 
Sept 12:        Ann Snizek                Rambling Voices in My Head
Sept 13:        Kelly Reci                 Kelly’s Thoughts on Things 
Sept 14:        Marie, Crystal            Crystal’s Many Reviews 
Sept 15:        M.C.V Egan              4covert2overt A Day In TheSpotlight 
Sept 16:        Tich Brewster            Loves All Things Books


No comments:

Post a Comment