Thursday, June 27, 2013

Review: The Star by Clemy Warner-Thompson

Reminder of the book's overview...




Abbii had been afraid of the dark for four long years. She hated the eerie silence that filled the night.


She would often try to forget by closing her eyes at night, but she would always be met by dreams of Shadows that would attack her, dragging her into the Darkness. Most nights, she would simply lie there with her bedding wrapped tightly around her, staring at the light coming in through her window, hoping that she would drift off into a dreamless sleep.


Ever since that day four years ago, the dark had frightened her; she had thought it would be a curse throughout the whole of her life, but something changed when she met him.


The dark seemed to lose its power and the moon’s light brightened.

Her dreams didn't stop; nightmares still stole her sleep, but there was always a figure of Light that would save her and allow her to wake.

He said the same thing every night in her dreams. Keep fighting, Abbii.

She thought that he was part of her imagination, someone that she had created to save her, until she met him and was drawn into his bright hazel eyes.

His name was Nate.

I asked Clemy what inspires her writing.  I thought all of you might be interested in how writers come up with the books that we love so much.  Here is what she said:


What inspires me as a writer?

It’s difficult to say what specifically inspires me to write. My family and the few close friends that are in my life have always pushed me to keep going. I always wanted to follow in my brother’s footsteps, as he had written his first book by the age of 16, but now that I’m older and I've grown past wanting to ‘beat’ him, I find that I write because I want to.

Every morning, writing has become a part of my routine. If I’m not writing, I’m reading through my notes or editing what I wrote the day before. Its part of me now, makes me who I am. My characters always reflect on their behavior and the way that they are- I suppose you could say that they all have a part of me in them.


Without my imagination, I wouldn't have reached this far. I owe it my gratitude.

Author Bio:


I was born in England in the West Midlands in 1991 where I am still currently living, growing up alongside one younger and three older brothers.



Books and writing was an interest that I began to develop from the first years of secondary school, and on my thirteenth birthday, I began to plan and design the idea to write a fantasy novel. I finished secondary school with high GCSE’s and then went on into further education to study English and all aspects of art and design. After six years of writing, planning and overall editing of the book, it was successfully completed, containing over 82,000 words, and self published in the first week of 2011.


With high expectations in myself, I immediately began to write a second novel in the series, while keeping my art and design a part of the process. The achievement of completing the first novel ‘Purest Light,’ allowed the ideas of the second to flow much easier and it was completed by early 2012. As I was writing the third and final book, New Beginnings, at the same time, the series was finished by its publication in 2013.

Writing is now a part of my everyday and I have started on my newest project, The Star, which is also planned to be the first of three. Only time will tell.


Links:
Twitter: @clemychum


Buy links:

My thoughts on THE STAR...
I found The Star to be pleasantly unpredictable.  Clemy Warner-Thompson had some wonderful twists in the plot that pulled you along and shocked you as you read.  I love Clemy's fresh style of writing and Wonderful characters that are amazingly easy to connect with!  Not only that, but my daughter took if from me when she say the beautiful cover art and hasn't given it back to me yet!  She is torn between Nate and Max. :D





No comments:

Post a Comment