Saturday, March 2, 2013

Review - The Rise of Bob McDoogal



Synopsis:


Book One: The Rise of Bob McDoogal is science fiction at heart, but is also filled with romance, suspense, dark humor, and much more! It is a fast-paced action novella guaranteed to be a "guilty-pleasure" read. Be prepared to laugh, cry, and find yourself thinking 'damn, did he really just say that?'



My Review:

The Rise of Bob McDoogal is definitely a unique story, at least in my experience. As I write this, I still struggle to decide how I would rate it. It is well written, the characters have strong personalities, and it pulls you along making you always wonder what will happen next. That said, it is a bit more graphic than I usually read. I don't want to put that as a negative, but for me it was the strongest detraction from the book.

I found myself instantly drawn to Bob from the beginning. As an unexpected hero, I wonder if I like him better before or after his journey starts. While he swears a lot, and tends to have a one track mind, but this is comically typical of a teenage boy. Given his personal history, his aggression, pain, and difficulties of life, his reactions seem genuine and realistic.

While Bob is a typical teenage boy, Lusha is more atypical. You may disagree at the beginning, but trust me on this one.

The journey that these two young people experience throughout the book, is full of twists and turns. The concepts seem well formed in the mind of Juan Gutierrez. If the graphic nature and dark humor of this story aren't too much for you, I feel you will be completely drawn in. Once you are hooked, hold on... it's going to be a wild ride.

In the synopsis it says that you will be thinking, 'damn, did he really just say that?', but I think I am in too much shock to think that. Once you know the characters what they say doesn't necessarily surprise you... It did leave me stunned. I can't wait for book 2!!!!



Follow along at the next galactic stop:


March 3, 2013
Post Type - Spotlight
Tamara Beard



The Author:

Juan Gutierrez is a 27 year old living in Dallas, Texas. He grew up in Torrance, California. He is a Fantasy/Science Fiction writer. Inspired both Star Wars and Star Trek, he is determined to make a Galaxy Cluster all of his own. In 2012, he began his work on the character Bob McDoogal. Think The Mask with Jim Carrey (another major influence), mixed with Star Wars. That is the best way to describe his Dark humor Science Fiction Fantasy writing. He is currently working on book two of the series, aiming to have it done by the close of 2013.





Links to remember:







No comments:

Post a Comment